Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Grandma's Davenport

This is my Grandma.  She's pretty cool for many reasons.  For example, she taught me how to knit when I was in elementary school on a summer day in her camper.  I wasn't allowed to get up or stop for what felt like ages because she wanted to make sure I really knew what I was doing.  It worked.

Grandma Glor first introduced me to the deals you can find at Goodwill.  She used to go to a Goodwill warehouse once a week at 4 or 5 in the morning to look for Tupperware.  Then she'd take it home and clean it up to sell at flea markets.  This was her way to earn a little extra cash to help her grand-kids buy college books.  How cool is that?  Each semester she would give me a card and remind me "it's not much, just a little something to help."  And it did. 

Well, as a kid I was always confused when Grandma would tell me to look for something "by the Davenport."  I can remember asking her where I could find a game and I swear I would search the entire house looking for "the Davenport," because the games were under the Davenport.  Pretty sure I gave up and found something else to do most of the time.  Then, one day, someone explained that the Davenport is just the couch!  For years I never knew why Grandma called the couch a Davenport...but guess what!?!  I decided to do a little research awhile back and found out a few things on the good ole Davenport!


Here's what Mr. Wikipedia has to say about the Davenport:

Davenport is the name of a series of sofas manufactured by the now-defunct A. H. Davenport Company. Due to the popularity of the furniture at the time, the name "Davenport" has become a genericized trademark. It is often used as a synonym for "sofa", especially in the Midwestern United States and in northern New York state. Specifically, it is used in the Adirondack Region and the Tug Hill Plateau, especially amongst those born there before World War II. The so-called Davenports of the northern New York region are often locally made sofa versions of the locally manufactured convertible Adirondack chair.

Among the younger generations, the word has come to mean a more formal sofa. In the Tug Hill and Adirondack regions in New York, a Davenport may refer especially to a couch which, like a modern futon lounge, converts on pivoting hinges from a sofa to a bed.

In other areas of North America, the word Davenport is used for a Futon-style sofa with storage under the seat area.

Thank you Wikipedia for the helpful information!
Image from Carly Googles - Apparently I'm not the only one!
Would you classify this as a Davenport?  While orange might not be my color of choice...I have to admit I think this would have been sweet to have in our "guest" bedroom instead of a bed.  I'm not sure I would want it in a house, but for now, in this little apartment...it would be practical.  I wonder how comfortable it is, and how much they cost...

No comments:

Post a Comment