Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hash Brown Omelets

When I student taught my roommate and I went to a local restaurant and had hash brown omelets, a cinnamon roll, and hot chocolate on every snow day.  Then we would go home and watch Friends for hours.  Naturally, I make one of these on most snow days now that live a couple of hours away from my college town!

These omelets are pretty good though, so they aren't just reserved for snow days!  We eat some sort of eggs for dinner at least once a week.  They take me about a half hour from start to finish, which I don't think is too bad.  Here's how I make them...
Thaw 1/2 bag of shredded frozen hash brown potatoes
My onions are sad looking...Usually I finely chop 4-5 green onions.  Half goes in with the hash browns in the skillet.  The other half is set aside.

Put hash browns into a big skillet and turn stove to medium heat.
Salt and pepper the hash browns.
We like quite a bit of pepper!  Once it looks about like this, stir it up!  Stir in the first half of the green onions.
Scramble 4-5 eggs with about 1/4 cup of water.
Turn the hash browns every so often.  Once they just start to brown they are about ready.
Smash down the hash browns so the entire bottom of the pan is covered.
Pour eggs on top of hash browns and cover. 
Finish preparing the filler ingredients while the eggs are firming up.  We love sausage, onion (the other half of the green onions) and cheese.
If using frozen sausage, thaw it to room temp in the microwave.  It doesn't need to be hot, just thawed.
Once the eggs are completely cooked they should look something like this.
Add all ingredients to half of the omelet.
Fold over the plain side.
Cut in two and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment